Near Beeville in Bee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Signiﬁcant natural landmark
The Cart War of 1857, between Texas and Mexican teamsters on the freight route between San Antonio and Gulf ports, originated along San Patricio Road, southernmost of the three roads. The Mexican cart drivers used mesquite beans as feed for their teams, starting the mesquite brush which thrives along creek.
Settlers were attracted here by the tall grass, and many veterans of the Texas Revolution were given bounty lands in the area. First post office in Bee County was established in 1857 at Medio Hill pioneer community, once a down-creek settlement.
In 1909, the town of Candlish was founded within 50 feet of here, with a hotel, general store, school. The store closed; Candlish became a ghost town.
In 1938-39 on Medio and Blanco creeks, fossil beds yielded 1,000,000-year-old fossils of a new mastodon species (named Buckner's Mastodon), rhinoceros, elephants, alligators, camels, and three-toed horses.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967.
Location. 28° 29.165′ N, 97° 39.201′ W. Marker is near Beeville, Texas, in Bee County. Marker is on U.S. 59, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. 4.2 miles east of Beeville. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Rose Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away); First National Bank of Beeville (approx. 7.4 miles away); Community of Normanna (approx. 8.1 miles away); McClanahan House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Beeville on the Poesta (approx. 8.2 miles away); Bee County Courthouse (approx. 8.2 miles away); Douglas A4 Skyhawk (approx. 8.2 miles away); Commercial National Bank (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beeville.
Categories. • Landmarks • Roads & Vehicles • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,280 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.