Glen Echo in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Changing Face of Glen Echo
The Chautauqua Amphitheater. When Edward and Edwin Baltzley opened Glen Echo as the National Chautauqua in 1891, it included a public assembly hall as one of its principal buildings. The amphitheater, designed by Theophilus P. Chandler of Philadelphia, spanned the valley in front of you, with the creek running underneath it. It was electrically lit and could seat more than 8,000 people. Topped with a dome 250 feet in diameter, the Amphitheater was one of the largest performance spaces in the nation. It was used for, as the Chautauqua curriculum stated, “A series of three first-class lyceum lecture concerts of spectacular entertainments each day.” Below the amphitheater lay two stories of stone grottoes, passageways, bridges and alcoves that provided a welcome retreat from the summer heat. Opening day ceremonies were held June 16, 1891.
The Funhouse. In 1911, after its short time as a Vaudeville stage, the amphitheater was converted into a funhouse, modeled after Coney Islandís famous Steeplechase Park. The funhouse originally included a human roulette wheel, distorting mirrors, a giant slide, and a dozen other amusements. Attractions were periodically added to the funhouse, so that by the time the funhouse closed, it had been home to such entertainments as the Rocking Pigs, the Whirl-i-gig, Crossing The Ice and a new human roulette wheel. The human roulette wheel, later turned into The Tubs, was one of the more popular attractions and was featured in most advertisements for Glen Echo Park. It was a floor level spinning disc, and the point of the ride was to stay in the center of the wheel while it spun faster and faster. When the ride was changed to The Tubs it was sunk into the ground and guests tried to make their way from the edge to the center. Also included in the funhouse were a giant barrel, called the Barrel of Fun, which rolled in place, and a 600 foot track around the top of the building on which guests could ride scooter cars. An operator up in the tower ran and watched the rides down below. He also operated the air vents in the floor, with which he would blow unsuspecting ladiesí skirts over their heads.
The End of its Days. Like many amusements at Glen Echo, the funhouse eventually saw the end of its days. In 1948 the midway was closed due to termite damage, and the attractions were removed in 1949. In September 1956, the funhouse was destroyed for good. It was burned down to make room for a 300 space parking lot.
Location. 38° 57.983′ N, 77° 8.359′ W. Marker is in Glen Echo, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Macarthur Boulevard ľ mile from Goldsboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glen Echo MD 20812, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 11 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glen Echo Parkís Crystal Pool (here, next to this marker); The Roller Coasters of Glen Echo Amusement Park (a few steps from this marker); 1921 (a few steps from this marker); The Glen Echo Park Yurts (within shouting distance of this marker); Glen Echo From Past to Present (within shouting distance of this marker); c. 1931 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named 1921 (within shouting distance of this marker); Glen Echo Civil Rights Protest (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hall of Philosophy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); c. 1926 (about 300 feet away); Trolley Parks In America (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Echo.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Real Photo Postcards. Almost from the first, Glen Echo used postcards to promote the park. (Submitted on June 2, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,420 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.