Beeville in Bee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank of Beeville
The increases in population and trade volume brought by the arrival of the San Antonio & Aransas Pass and the Gulf,Western Texas & Pacific Railways in the late 1880s made the establishment of a bank necessary. In December of 1889 thirty investors met and organized the First National Bank of Beeville and elected A.C. Jones, Louis B. Randall, B.W. Klipstein, J.H. O'Connor, Viggo Kohler, J.C. Wood and J.R. Hoxie to the first board of directors.
The first National Bank of Beeville operated on the courthouse square until 1894, when it relocated to the vicinity of the railroad depot. Functioning at that site for 66 years, the bank moved in 1960 and again in 1984 to be near major auto routes.
It is one of the few banks in South Texas to have been independent and locally owned and operated for one hundred years.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1790.)
Location. 28° 24.4′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1400 East Houston Street, San Antonio TX 78201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Rose Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); McClanahan House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Beeville on the Poesta (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bee County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Douglas A4 Skyhawk (approx. one mile away); Commercial National Bank (approx. one mile away); Medio Creek (approx. 7.4 miles away); Aransas Creek Settlers (approx. 11.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beeville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 868 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.