Glen Echo in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Glen Echo’s Art Deco Arcade
A New Entrance. The new entrance, built in 1940, greeted visitors getting off the trolley with an 11-foot high Glen Echo Park green neon sign supported by 48-foot pylons.
Fun Along The Arcade. A new Art Deco arcade was built to replace an older one which was styled as a castle. The storefront of the new arcade held Hamburger Haven, the shooting gallery, Skee Ball alleys, the Sportsland penny arcade and an archery range. Skee Ball was first introduced to the park in 1915 and remained a popular game. The penny arcade, originally called Pennyland, opened in 1925 and soon had 98 amusements ranging from mutascopes to pinball and fortune telling machines.
The arcade was built to house the park’s administrative offices, but it also contained many of the park’s refreshment vendors. Cotton candy, popcorn, sodas, candied apples, ice cream, beer and barbecue
Today’s Arcade. A $6.5 million renovation and rebuilding project to repair years of deferred maintenance was started in 2002 and completed in the summer of 2006. This complex will soon house The Puppet Co., Adventure Theatre, Photoworks, glass blowing, administrative offices, galleries, art studios, and general classrooms. Funds for the project came from the Federal Government, the State of Maryland and Montgomery County.
(photo caption on left side of marker) The Arcade stands sold popcorn, creamy whip (frozen custard ice cream) and sandwiches to those strolling the grounds. Sitdown service was also available at the Concourse Cafe and the Roof Garden Cafe on the second floor terrace, where diners could look out over the park.
(photo caption on upper right side of marker) Mutascopes such as this one (left side) would play short films for a penny. Kewpie dolls (right) first appeared in 1912 and were a common prize, especially in the 1920's.
(photo caption on lower right side of marker) The shooting gallery was a popular attraction from the park’s earliest days. The gallery had moving steel targets and a pond full of moving duck targets at which players shot using real rifles and live ammunition!
Erected 2006 by Leah Rand, Volunteer,
Location. 38° 57.959′ N, 77° 8.291′ W. Marker is in Glen Echo, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Macarthur Boulevard Ľ mile from Goldsboro Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glen Echo MD 20812, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 11 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glen Echo Civil Rights Protest (within shouting distance of this marker); 1921 (within shouting distance of this marker); c. 1926 (within shouting distance of this marker); Glen Echo Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Trolley Parks In America (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Glen Echo Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Glen Echo From Past to Present (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named 1921 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Roller Coasters of Glen Echo Amusement Park (about 300 feet away); The Changing Face of Glen Echo (about 400 feet away); Glen Echo Park’s Crystal Pool (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Echo.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • 20th Century •
More. Search the internet for Glen Echo’s Art Deco Arcade.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,845 times since then and 29 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week November 11, 2007. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 30, 2007, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.