Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
National Register of Historic Places
First Presbyterian Church
Department of Archives
American Revolution Bicentennial
* Richland County Committee *
Location. 34° 0.238′ N, 81° 1.853′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Marion Street near Lady Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Cecil Herbert Land D.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church Confederate Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Columbia High School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Columbia Female Academy (about 500 feet away); Washington Street Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); a different Washington Street Methodist Church (about 500 feet away); Marion Street (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church, constructed ca. 1854, is a fine example of early English Gothic architecture, characterized by a vaulted ribbed ceiling. Its 188-foot spire is one of Columbiaís most distinctive architectural features. Its congregation was the first organized in Columbia (1795). According to tradition, the Presbyterian congregation drew lots with the Episcopal congregation, and won its present lot, which included the heretofore public non-denominational Columbia graveyard, dating from 1797. Buried here are Henry W. DeSaussure, first director of the U.S. Mint, Ann Pamela Cuningham, restorer of Mt. Vernon and President Woodrow Wilsonís parents.
Past congregational members include Colonel Thomas Taylor (upon whose plantation part of Columbia was built), scientist Dr. Joseph LeConte, architect Robert Mills and President Woodrow Wilson. The English Gothic structure is of reddish-brown stucco-covered brick. It features a central pinnacled steeple, an entrance
It is the second church built on this site. The church building was extensively remodeled in 1925.
Listed in the National Register January 25, 1971.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
National Register of Historic Places:
First Presbyterian Church *** (added 1971 - - #71000801)
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Gothic
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Funerary, Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Cemetery, Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Funerary, Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Cemetery, Religious Structure
Also see . . . The National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form for the First Presbyterian Church. Includes a brief description and history of the church. (Submitted on October 2, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 501 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on May 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on October 2, 2015.