Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Oldest House
still standing in Richmond
Probably built 1737 by Joseph Ege
A gift in 1912 from
Mr. and Mrs. Granville C. Valentine
to the Association for the
Preservation of Virginia Antiquities
Restored by Mr. and Mrs. Archer G. Jones
In 1924 placed in custody of the
Edgar Allan Poe Shrine (now the
Edgar Allan Poe Foundation, Inc.)
Location. 37° 31.925′ N, 77° 25.565′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North 20th Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1914 East Main Street, Richmond VA 23223, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Quakers in Richmond (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate General Hospital No. 12 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Francis Asbury (about 400 feet away); Franklin Street Burying Grounds (about 500 feet away); Libby Prison (about 500 feet away); Libby Prison CSA (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Libby Prison (about 600 feet away); Origins of Richmond (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . .
1. Poe Museum. (Submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Poe Museum/Old Stone House (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
3. Old Stone House. National Park Service (Submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,187 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.