Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fountain City, Knoxville in Knox County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fountain City United Methodist Church

Fountain Head Campground

 
 
Fountain Head Campground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Donald Raby, June 27, 2010
1. Fountain Head Campground Marker
Inscription. (Front):
Fountain City
United Methodist Church
Founded in 1825
In 1824, E.F. Sevier, grandson of Gov. John Sevier, came to this area as a Methodist circuit rider. By 1825, a plot of ground was secured and Fountain Head became a "preaching place." A log meeting house (c 1828) was built followed by a white frame church (1845). The church, campground, hotel, "the Dummy line" train, and lake nearby all made Fountain Head a popular resort by 1891. A red brick church was built in 1892 with the new name, Fountain City Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

(Back):
Fountain Head Campground
1833-1885
In 1851 Fountain Head Methodist Episcopal Church South purchased the Fountain Head Campground, a 12 acre wooded grove with a large spring. The Daily Press and Herald reported this scene in 1869: "All was peaceful since the war with white tents, wagons and buggies dotting the grove. Early devotions, two daytime services and the last at 'early candle light' called campers to the white Methodist church. On Sunday 2000 were in attendance. This campground is now Fountain City Park.
 
Erected by Tennesee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1E 112.)
 
Location. 36° 2.182′ 
Fountain Head Campground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Donald Raby, June 27, 2010
2. Fountain Head Campground Marker
N, 83° 56.003′ W. Marker is in Fountain City, Knoxville, Tennessee, in Knox County. Marker is on Hotel Road 0.1 miles west of Broadway Street (U.S. 441), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 Hotel Rd, Knoxville TN 37918, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Adair (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Adair (approx. 0.8 miles away); Knoxville National Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); A National Cemetery System (approx. 4.2 miles away); Old Gray Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Old Gray Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); St. Clair Cobb (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Reverse of Marker gives information about the founding of the Fountain City UMC.
 
Regarding Fountain City United Methodist Church. The Park has been the meeting place of thousands through the years. Grand Army of the Republic veterans were here in 1890. It is now a great place to walk and play and picnic with family and friends. The fountain head is a spring in the back of the park that is the head of First Creek.
 
Additional keywords.
Fountain City Park entrance image. Click for full size.
By Donald Raby, June 27, 2010
3. Fountain City Park entrance
Fountain City Park, Dummy Line, Fountain Head Hotel
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.LandmarksNotable PlacesRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2010, by Donald Raby of Knoxville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Donald Raby of Knoxville, Tennessee.   2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2010, by Donald Raby of Knoxville, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement