Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Judge Glover's Home
Erected 1970 by Orangeburg County Historical Society. (Marker Number 38-13.)
Location. 33° 29.475′ N, 80° 51.438′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Whitman Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between Magnolia Street (US 21 / 601) and Elliott Street SE. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of the Redeemer (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Orangeburg Massacre (approx. 0.3 miles away); South Carolina State University (approx. 0.3 miles away); Trinity United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Court House Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Orangeburg Confederate Memorial Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
Regarding Judge Glover's Home. Judge Thomas W. Glover House: 525 Whitman St. Believed to have been built between 1833 and 1838 by Judge Thomas Worth Glover, a leading citizen of Orangeburg and a signer of the Ordinance of Secession,this stately house was used by General William T. Sherman as his headquarters during the invasion by Union
soldiers in Orangeburg County. Because of its beauty Sherman left a guard at the house to make sure the structure was not harmed.(City of Orangeburg)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,067 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.