Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Gettysburg and Harrisburg Railroad Depot
In its heyday, this railroad was a principal means of transportation to Gettysburg. The Gettysburg and Harrisburg Railroad Company merged with the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad in 1891. It continued to transport thousands of veterans and their families to Gettysburg, especially for the 50th and 75th Reunions of the "Blue and Gray" held in 1913 and 1938.
As a result of new highways and the automobile, the Reading Railroad cased passenger service to Gettysburg in 1941.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc.
Location. 39° 49.932′ N, 77° 14.005′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington Street and West Railroad Street, on the right when traveling south Touch for map. Located in front of the train depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 North Washington Street, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "... you know nothing about the lesson anyhow." (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ice House Complex (about 300 feet away); Dwight D. Eisenhower (about 400 feet away); the Eagle Hotel (about 400 feet away but has been reported missing); Thaddeus Stevens (about 500 feet away); "...expecting to find all dead." (about 500 feet away); Parish House (about 600 feet away); Reverend Horatio S. Howell (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is a photo showing The Gettysburg and Harrisburg Railroad Depot, North Washington Street c. 1888. Photo courtesy of the Adams County Historical Society.
Also see . . . The Gettysburg and Harrisburg Railroad. A tour by Licensed Battlefield Guide Don Walters. (Submitted on June 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.