Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown - County Seat
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 32
The buildings at 35 South State Street are situated on the tract of land on which the three main public buildings in Newtown were erected in 1726 when Newtown became the County Seat (Jail Keeper's House & Records Office, Jail, Court House). The original jail was found to be too small for the growing criminality of the county, naturally arising from the wild conditions of a backwoods community of the time. In 1745, another larger jail was erected on this site. Some of the original brownstone walls that enclosed the cells of the jail (building at far left in sketch) were reused to build the wall that can be seen surrounding the buildings currently on this site (see wall in photo below).
About thirty years after the County Seat was removed from Newtown to Doylestown in 1813, the home at 35 South State Street and part of the old courthouse property were purchased at auction by Maurice P. Linton and later by Daniel C. Heilig. This land included the "Old Office Building" that was presumably the only remaining evidence of the original County buildings. Between 1873 and 1884, Daniel B. Heilig renovated this property and also constructed a number of stores that are located between 27 and 33 South State Street.
Erected 2007 by Newtown Business & Professional Association
Location. 40° 13.687′ N, 74° 56.206′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on State Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is about 75 feet north of Centre Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 S. State Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Justices House (within shouting distance of this marker); Half-Moon Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Loyalist Raid of 1778 (within shouting distance of this marker); February 9, 1778 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bird in Hand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temperance House (about 300 feet away); Paxson-Croasdale Building & Trolley (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Also see . . .
1. History of Newtown Borough. (Submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Newtown Historic Walk. (Submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 562 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.