Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Gettysburg R.R. Depot
On July 1, 1863, this building and its passenger platform were commandeered for use as an army hospital.
When train service was restored following the battle, the U.S. Sanitary Commission set up a tent lodge across the tracks from the rear platform to assist the wounded brought from the field hospitals for transportation to home and distant hospitals. Volunteer Georgeanna Woolsey recalled: "Twice a day the trains left...and twice a day we fed all the wounded who arrived for them."
On November 18, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln arrived by train at this depot for the dedication of the Soldiers National Cemetery, where he delivered the Gettysburg Address.
Erected by Main Street Gettysburg, Inc., National Park Service / American Battlefield Protection Program.
Location. 39° 49.92′ N, 77° 13.863′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Carlisle Street (Business U.S. 15) and West Railroad Street, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sheads-Buehler Building (a few steps from this marker); The Majestic Theater (a few steps from this marker); Western Maryland Station (within shouting distance of this marker); "It seemed so awful..." (within shouting distance of this marker); "by the skin of our teeth" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln Square Building (about 300 feet away); "... It was enough to frighten us to death!" (about 300 feet away); Old Courthouse (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
More about this marker. On the right of the marker is a photo of The Hanover-Gettysburg R.R. station and rear platform ca. 1888. The two buildings to the right were post 1863 structures.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 584 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.