Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Brittingham Boat House

Ferry & Clas

 

1910

 
Brittingham Boat House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, June 26, 2009
1. Brittingham Boat House Marker
Inscription. The construction of this public boat house represents the spirit of municipal improvement that infused this city at the turn of the century. The parkland and its model facilities were created through the generosity of lumberman Thomas E. Brittingham and the hard work of a private group, The Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association, headed by John M. Olin. George B. Ferry and Alfred C. Clas were distinguished Milwaukee architects known here for their design of the State Historical Society Building.
 
Erected 1977 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 49.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 3.88′ N, 89° 23.347′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of North Shore Drive and Bedford Street, on the right when traveling east on North Shore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53715, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Tobacco Co. Warehouses (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Nolen Causeway (approx. mile away); James Doris Farmhouse
Brittingham Boat House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, June 26, 2009
2. Brittingham Boat House Marker
(approx. mile away); Dowling Apartments (approx. mile away); La Follette House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Milwaukee Road Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Doty School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wiedenbeck-Dobelin Warehouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Brittingham Boat House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The facilities also included a large bath house to the west, which was demolished in the 1960s. In 1921 a wing for more boat storage was added to the south in the same design as the original. ... The boathouse was built on former marshland and has structural problems as a result. It is planned in the near future to move it a little way to sounder ground and renovate the historic structure." See the link for a description of the move and renovation.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers that mention John Olin.
 
Also see . . .
1. Camp Randall Rowing Club. The current occupant of the boathouse.
Brittingham Boat House image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, June 26, 2009
3. Brittingham Boat House
(Submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 

2. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the boathouse. (Submitted on March 20, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 

3. Madison Originals Magazine. "Rebuilding Brittingham Boathouse" (pdf) (Submitted on March 20, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. 20th CenturyNotable Buildings
 
Brittingham Boat House image. Click for full size.
By Gordon Govier, June 26, 2009
4. Brittingham Boat House
The view across the bay from John Nolen Drive.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,108 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 27, 2010, by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement