Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Courthouse

 
 
Old Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 27, 2010
1. Old Courthouse Marker
Inscription. First courthouse for Adams County stood in old Center Square from 1804 to 1859. The land for the Square was given by James Gettys.
 
Erected by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 39° 49.863′ N, 77° 13.845′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of York Street (U.S. 30) and Carlisle Street (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling west on York Street. Touch for map. Located on the northeast side of the center traffic circle. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Square Building (a few steps from this marker); "by the skin of our teeth" (a few steps from this marker); The Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Wills House (within shouting distance of this marker); Return Visit (within shouting distance of this marker); "... It was enough to frighten us to death!"
Old Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, March 27, 2010
2. Old Courthouse Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); "harboring Confederates" (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 586 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 30, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement