Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Weaverville in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The La Grange Mine

 
 
The Lagrange Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, June 1, 2010
1. The Lagrange Mine Marker
Inscription. This mine was originally known as the Oregon Mountain group of claims, first operated about 1862. In 1892 the mine was purchased by the La Grange Hydraulic Gold Mining Company which brought water from Stuart's Fork through 29 miles of ditch tunnels and flume and delivered it to the mine pit under a 650 food head. Over 100,000,000 yards of gravel were moved and $3,500,000 in gold produced. Large scale operations ceased in 1918.

California Registered Historical Landmark No. 778

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Mt. Bally Parlor NO. 87, Native Sons of the Golden West; Trinity County Historical Society; and Trinitarianus Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, June 9, 1963.
 
Erected 1963 by California State Park Commission. (Marker Number 778.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 40° 44.317′ N, 122° 59.767′ W. Marker is near Weaverville, California, in Trinity County. Marker is on Highway 299, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Weaverville CA 96093, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured

The La Grange Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, June 1, 2010
2. The La Grange Mine Marker
as the crow flies. Moving Mountains... (a few steps from this marker); Old Section (approx. 2.8 miles away); Weaverville Basin Gold Discovery Site (approx. 2.9 miles away); I.O.O.F. Hall (approx. 2.9 miles away); Trinity County Courthouse (approx. 2.9 miles away); Spiral Staircases (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of First Cabin (approx. 2.9 miles away); Clifford Hall (approx. 2.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weaverville.
 
Also see . . .  [PDF] The La Grange Mine: Changing the Landscape in the Quest for Gold. 40 page PDF file (Submitted on July 4, 2010, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.) 
 
Categories. Natural Resources
 
Looking North to where the La Grange Mine was located image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, June 1, 2010
3. Looking North to where the La Grange Mine was located
Hydraulicking the Highway: Division of Highways, 1932 - 1939, Then and Now image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, June 1, 2010
4. Hydraulicking the Highway: Division of Highways, 1932 - 1939, Then and Now
Informational sign near the historical marker.
Mine Owners: The La Grange Family image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, June 1, 2010
5. Mine Owners: The La Grange Family
Informational sign near the historical marker.
La Grange: The Town image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, June 1, 2010
6. La Grange: The Town
The Owners' Residence: "The Castle" image. Click for full size.
By Karen Key, June 1, 2010
7. The Owners' Residence: "The Castle"
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2010, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 878 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 4, 2010, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement