Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Van Slyke House

1859

 
 
Van Slyke House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 30, 2010
1. Van Slyke House Marker
Inscription. This Italianate sandstone house, originally built for local hardware dealer Samuel Fox, exemplifies a regionally distinctive alternating pattern in its masonry. In 1860, transplanted New Yorker, Napoleon Bonaparte Van Slyke, the cashier of the Dane County Bank and later president of the First National Bank, bought the house and lived in it until his death forty-nine years later.
 
Erected 1972 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.651′ N, 89° 23.417′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on North Carroll Street 0.1 miles north of East Gorham Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 510 North Carroll Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beecroft House (a few steps from this marker); James Mears House (within shouting distance of this marker); World-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright called Madison his hometown
Van Slyke House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 30, 2010
2. Van Slyke House
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frank G. Brown House (about 300 feet away); Suhr House (about 300 feet away); Phi Gamma Delta House (about 300 feet away); Breese J. Stevens House (about 400 feet away); Wootton - Mead House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Van Slyke House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "Originally built for Samuel Fox, a successful hardware merchant, the house was soon sold to Napoleon Bonaparte Van Slyke and his second wife Annie. One of the most important players in the development of Madison, Van Slyke came to Madison from New York state in 1853 and helped form the first abstract and title company and one of the first banks. He was also one of the first regents of the UW, serving for over 30 years, and was quartermaster for Camp Randall during the Civil War. ...

"The house is a refined and skillfully detailed example of the Italianate style that can compete in excellence, if not necessarily size, with the best Italianate style houses in the country. The stonework is also rare and beautiful.
Van Slyke House Front Door image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 30, 2010
3. Van Slyke House Front Door
The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house.
It is done in a form of stone laying known as 'block and stack' in which large blocks are alternated with smaller stones and then the whole wall is covered in raised mortar joints to highlight the variation in stone sizes. This is a Germanic technique that may be unique in the United States to the Dane County-Sauk County area."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 999 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on July 5, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement