Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1855 the Wisconsin Female College, later named Downer College, was chartered at Fox Lake. Both schools experienced financial difficulties until they merged to become Milwaukee-Downer College in 1895. The two institutions combined their resources and moved in 1899 to this site which became a new campus of forty wooded acres.
When the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee purchased this campus in 1964, Milwaukee-Downer College moved to Appleton to join Lawrence College and now is part of Lawrence University.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Society of Wisconsin. (Marker Number 147.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 4.663′ N, 87° 52.688′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53211, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee-Downer College Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Golda Meir (about 800 feet away); Carl Sandburg Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Lake Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prehistoric Burial Mound (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lueddemann’s-On-The-River (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Sauk Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on July 5, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.