Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Kircher House

1877

 
 
Kircher House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
1. Kircher House Marker
Inscription. An example of a High Victorian Italianate style pattern book house design, this cream brick dwelling was built by John Kircher, a German carpenter and contractor, in 1892. After a decade of absentee ownership, the house was bought by Adolph Klose who built the cottage across the street and who was a tailor for Olson & Veerhusen Clothiers at that time.
 
Erected 1977 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 52.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.644′ N, 89° 22.293′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Jenifer Street 0.1 miles east of Williamson Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 733 Jenifer Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sauthoff House (a few steps from this marker); Klose Cottage (a few steps from this marker); John George Ott House (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison Candy Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line);
Kircher House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
2. Kircher House Marker
The marker is on the far left side of the house.
Timothy and Katherine McCarthy House (about 800 feet away); Hyer - Jaquish Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); B.B. Clarke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Biederstaedt – Breitenbach Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Kircher House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "An example of High Victorian Italianate house design, this cream brick dwelling was probably built by John Kircher, a German carpenter and contractor. Nearly all of the surrounding properties going westward toward the square were occupied by German families. In 1892, the house was bought by Adolph Klose who was a tailor on the square. Klose had formerly lived in a small frame house he built across the street at 748 Jenifer Street. As with many smaller houses near the square, the true history of this house is hard to discern through traditional tax and city directory research. Part of this house may actually date to the late 1850s."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 20, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Additional keywords.
Kircher House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
3. Kircher House and Marker
Architecture
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Kircher House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
4. Kircher House Marker
A design firm uses a small wing of the house for its reception area.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement