Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown

By Order of General Washington   1779

 

—The Morristown Green —

 
Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
1. Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown Marker
Inscription.
Court St. is now Park Place
Bridge Street is now Speedwell Ave.
Basking Ridge Road is now Bank St.
Jockey Hollow Road is now Washington St.

 
Location. 40° 47.816′ N, 74° 28.856′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from N Park Place, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the center of the Morristown Green. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Alexander Carmichael House (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris County Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Continental Store on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); The French are Coming (within shouting distance of this marker); The Presbyterian Church on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); This Morristown Green (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green - 1715 (within shouting distance of this marker); Arnold’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
More about this marker. The marker features a map downtown Morristown based on Maj. Erskine’s
Morristown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
2. Morristown Marker
The three figures in the background to the right are statues of George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and the Marquis de Lafayette.
survey. The location of the current Green, where the marker is found, is indicated, as well as the following sites:   Benedict Arnold Trial, Baptist Church, Arnold Tavern, Court House and Jail, Presbyterian Church, Rev. Timothy Johnes (House), Washington Headquarters, Continental Store House, Col. William DeHart House and Alexander Carmichael House.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Marker on the Morristown Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
3. Marker on the Morristown Green
Washington's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, December 12, 2009
4. Washington's Headquarters
During the winter encampment of 1779-80, Gen. Washington made his headquarters in this house, the home of Mrs. Jacob Ford, Jr. The location of the house is indicated on the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement