Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Baptist Church on the Green

Revolutionary War Hospital & Burial Ground

 

—The Morristown Green —

 
The Baptist Church on the Green Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
1. The Baptist Church on the Green Marker
Inscription. The Baptist Church on the Green was dedicated in 1771. Its first pastor, the Rev. Reune Runyon was said to have been “an ardent patriot, brave and true”. Like the Presbyterian Church, this building was used as an army hospital in 1777-1778 and many soldiers were buried in its churchyard. Their remains were removed and are now reinterred at the Evergreen Cemetery.
 
Location. 40° 47.843′ N, 74° 28.872′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of N Park Place and E Park Place, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the northeast corner of the Morristown Green. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Court House and Jail (a few steps from this marker); Arnold’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); The French are Coming (within shouting distance of this marker); Arnold Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown (within shouting distance of this marker); Morris County Civil War Monument
Marker on the Morristown Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
2. Marker on the Morristown Green
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Presbyterian Church on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); This Morristown Green (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
More about this marker. The upper left of the marker contains a picture of the Baptist Church as it appeared during the Revolutionary War.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 488 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 7, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement