Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Presbyterian Church on the Green

The Morristown Green

 
 
The Presbyterian Church on the Green Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
1. The Presbyterian Church on the Green Marker
Inscription. The original wooden church was built in 1738 - 40 on land donated by Benjamin Hathaway and John Lindsley. With two enlargements it appeared as shown (at left) at the time of the American Revolution. It became a hospital for troops in 1777 – 1778. Tradition states George Washington knew the church and received holy communion from its Pastor, the Rev. Timothy Johnes in his orchard behind his parsonage. Its burial ground behind the church contains the graves of many patriots of the Revolution.
 
Location. 40° 47.827′ N, 74° 28.823′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from E Park Place, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located on the southeast corner of the Morristown Green. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Morristown Green (here, next to this marker); Morris County Civil War Monument (a few steps from this marker); The French are Coming (within shouting distance of this marker); Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alexander Carmichael House
Morristown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
2. Morristown Marker
The Presbyterian Church can be seen in this photo across the street from the marker.
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Baptist Church on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Morristown Postal Service (within shouting distance of this marker); Court House and Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
More about this marker. The upper left of the marker contains a picture of the Presbyterian Church as it appeared during the Revolutionary War.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Revolutionary
 
Marker on the Morristown Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
3. Marker on the Morristown Green
This is one of several "The Morristown Green" markers found here.
The Presbyterian Church in Morristown image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
4. The Presbyterian Church in Morristown
The Presbyterian Church Burial Ground image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
5. The Presbyterian Church Burial Ground
Many Revolutionary War veterans are buried in the church cemetery. Pictured here are the graves of Capt. Samuel Oliver and Capt. John Oliver of the Morris County Militia.
Col. Jacob Arnold Grave image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
6. Col. Jacob Arnold Grave
Seen here is the grave of Col. Jacob Arnold of Arnold’s Troop Light Horse Cavalry. During the winter of 1777, Gen. Washington made his headquarters in a tavern owned by Col. Arnold.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 7, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement