Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cedarburg in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Hamilton

 
 
Hamilton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 8, 2010
1. Hamilton Marker
Inscription. Settled by Irish immigrants, “New Dublin” was renamed in 1847 after William S. Hamilton, son of Alexander, spent the night here in what became the first stagecoach stop between Milwaukee and Green Bay (1848). Settled before Cedarburg, Hamilton retains some original buildings including Concordia Mill (1853) and Turner Hall (1867) built by Edward Janssen, later Wisconsin State Treasurer. His home also remains.
 
Erected 1973 by Ozaukee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 96.)
 
Location. 43° 17.032′ N, 87° 58.348′ W. Marker is near Cedarburg, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker is on Hamilton Road 0.1 miles north of Green Bay Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in Hamilton Park parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 228 Hamilton Road, Cedarburg WI 53012, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ancient Paths (a few steps from this marker); Hamilton Turnhalle (within shouting distance of this marker); Concordia Mill (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Avenue Historic District / Historic District Architecture
Hamilton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 8, 2010
2. Hamilton Marker
West side of two sided marker
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Cedarburg Mill (approx. 1.1 miles away); The History of the Boerner Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Origin of Cedar Creek / Mills on the Creek (approx. 1.2 miles away); The First 100 Years (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedarburg.
 
More about this marker. Wisconsin Registered Landmark #96
 
Also see . . .  Cedarburg, Wisconson. History and local photos of the area. (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Hamilton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 8, 2010
3. Hamilton Marker
East side of two sided marker
Hamilton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Melinda Roberts, August 17, 2012
4. Hamilton Marker
Marker is located at entrance / parking lot to Hamilton Park.
Hamilton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul F, July 8, 2010
5. Hamilton Marker
Concordia Mill image. Click for full size.
By Paul F
6. Concordia Mill
See Nearby Marker for additional information.
Hamilton Turnhalle image. Click for full size.
By Paul Fehrenbach, December 27, 2011
7. Hamilton Turnhalle
As mentioned on this marker. See nearby marker for additional information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.   4. submitted on August 18, 2012, by Melinda Roberts of De Pere, United States.   5, 6. submitted on July 8, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.   7. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of Turner Hall and home of Edward Janssen. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement