Shaw in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—[former Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen’s Club] —
First ladies presided over the club, and assisted in maintaining the club’s operations. In 1943, at the peak of World War II, the efforts of these women provided beds for more that 45,000 military personnel. Grace Coolidge, Mamie Eisenhower and Jacqueline Kennedy were active in the organization.
Erected by Morrison-Clark Historic Inn and Restaurant.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1015 L Street, NW, Washington DC 20001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Messer Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Church of the Ascension and St. Agnes (about 600 feet away); Asbury United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Blanche K. Bruce House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Leonard "Bud" Doggett House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Power Brokers (approx. 0.2 miles away); For the Working People (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Graham Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Regarding Morrison-Clark Inn. The venerable Washington Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen’s Club was lost in the wave of renewal and gentrification that impacted the neighborhood in the 1980s, transforming this building into today's upscale historic inn and restaurant.
The club's historic counterpart in New York City (the Soldiers', Sailors', Marines', Coast Guard and Airmen's Club (283 Lexington Avenue, NY, NY) carries on.
Also see . . . Morrison-Clark Hotel: History. (Submitted on July 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Historic Hotels of America - National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 9, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.