Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church

 
 
Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 8, 2010
1. Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.
  New Salem Primitive Baptist Church came into existence from its "mother church," Mt. Moriah Primitive Baptist Church in Tampa. Rev. G.S. Crawford, from east Florida, organized New Salem in 1905, which first held services in a one-room building on 9th Street. Later that year, Elder T. Gurley, the former deacon at Mt. Moriah, was chosen as New Salem's pastor. He initiated the construction of a church at 914 2nd Avenue.
  Reverend W. M. Scott served as pastor from the early 1920s until 1956. Under his leadership, a new church was completed on the same site in 1951. New Salem and its Deacons, Trustees, and Mothers Boards expanded their activities.
  In 1966, New Salem was razed due to Tampa's urban renewal program. Church services were temporarily held at the Odd Fellows Hall on Central Avenue. In 1969, Pastor Richard H. Howard organized the construction of the new church at 1605 N. Nebraska Avenue. New Salem was incorporated at Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church in 2002, the name its parishioners had known it by for decades.
  New Salem has proudly served Tampa's African American community for more than a century. Its legacy includes many citizens who have prominently contributed to life in the Tampa area. Some of them proudly spearheaded the development of this marker.
 
Erected
Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 8, 2010
2. Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church and Marker
2010 by The Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council.
 
Location. 27° 57.538′ N, 82° 27.066′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of North Nebraska Avenue and East Estelle Street, on the right when traveling north on North Nebraska Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located next to the sidewalk, directly in front of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1605 North Nebraska Avenue, Tampa FL 33602, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Centro Asturiano de Tampa (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peter Claver Catholic School (approx. ¼ mile away); Ybor City Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); German-American Club (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rough Riders (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sociedad La Union Marti~Maceo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jose Marti (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cradle of Cuban Liberty (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Additional keywords. Religion
 
Categories. 20th CenturyAfrican AmericansChurches, Etc.
 
Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 8, 2010
3. Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
The sign outside the church reads:

1605
Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
Order of Service
Church School     Sunday 9:30 am
Morning Worship     Sunday 11:00 am
     Prayer Meeting/Bible Study   Tuesday 6:30 pm
Elder T. Lane, Pastor
Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church Memorial and Dedication Plaques image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 8, 2010
4. Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church Memorial and Dedication Plaques
The lower plaque is largely covered by shrubbery, but its top reads:
New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
Organized 1907          Rebuilt March 1969
Memorial Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 8, 2010
5. Memorial Plaque
A Tribute
of
loving memory
to the foregone patriots of the
New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
Organized 1907 Rev. G.S. Crawford
Built 1908 Rev. T. Gurley
Re-built 1951 Rev. W.M. Scott
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,619 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement