Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ford Cottage

Birthplace of the Telegraph

 

—Historic Speedwell —

 
Ford Cottage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
1. Ford Cottage Marker
Inscription. The Ford Cottage was built in the early 18th century by Gabriel Ford Jr., the grandson of Col. Jacob Ford Sr., Ironmaster, tavern owner and one of Morristown’s wealthiest citizens. Jacob Ford, Jr., was the builder of the mansion used by Washington’s as his headquarters during the winter of 1779-1780. The Ford Mansion is now the centerpiece of Morristown National Historical Park.

Gabriel Ford, Jr. served in the army and was stationed in Morristown at the time of the winter encampment. After the war, he built a small framed farm house just south of the family mansion. Later in life he went on to become an important citizen, serving as a judge and as one of the original incorporates of the Morris Aqueduct, Morristown’s first public water supply. Like the Ford Mansion, his house survived substantially unaltered until it was moved to the grounds of Historic Speedwell in 1969.

< Sidebar: >
Ford Cottage

The Cottage originally stood on the southern slope of the hill just below the Ford Mansion in Morristown. A fine example of the vernacular architecture of the early 1800’s, it retains its original configuration with small paned windows and untapered clapboard siding. When the construction of Interstate 287 threatened the house with demolition, local residents purchased it for $25 from the New Jersey Department
Marker at Historic Speedwell image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
2. Marker at Historic Speedwell
of Transportation. The building was then moved in two pieces and reassembled at Historic Speedwell.
 
Location. 40° 48.856′ N, 74° 28.822′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from Speedwell Avenue (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at Historic Speedwell. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 Speedwell Avenue, Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wheel House (here, next to this marker); The Homestead Farm (a few steps from this marker); The Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); The Granary (within shouting distance of this marker); L’Hommedieu House (within shouting distance of this marker); 1849 Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker); Moses Estey House (within shouting distance of this marker); Homestead Carriage House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
More about this marker. The bottom left of the marker features “A winter view of Historic Speedwell showing the Factory on the left and the old farm house that was replaced by the Ford Cottage on the right.” Next to this is a map of Historic Speedwell.
The
Ford Cottage and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
3. Ford Cottage and Marker
sidebar on the right side of the marker contains photographs of the Ford Cottage in its original location, another at its present site, and a third of it being restored. These have a caption of “The Ford Cottage as it stood on Howell Place in Morristown. The Cottage was transported to Historic Speedwell and carefully restored.” Also present is a map showing the location in Morristown where the Ford Cottage originally stood.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take a tour of the markers found at Historic Speedwell.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Speedwell - "Birthplace of the Telegraph". (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Historic Speedwell Buildings image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
4. Historic Speedwell Buildings
The Ford Cottage and marker are seen here on the left, next to the Wheel House and Factory.
Ford's Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
5. Ford's Mansion
This mansion was the home of Col. Jacob Ford, Sr. and was the headquarters of Gen. George Washington during the winter encampment of 1779-80. The Ford Cottage was originally located nearby.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 559 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement