Near Bartow in Pocahontas County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Camp Allegheny 1861-1862
Attack at Camp Allegheny
With the exception of minor skirmishes with Federal pickets the soldiers settled into the routine of preparing for a harsh mountain winter. This routine was disturbed on December 13, 1861 as 1,900 Federal soldiers under General Robert H. Milroy attacked the position. Poor timing by the Union troops helped the 1,200 Confederate defenders to turn back each assault separately. Throughout the action the Confederates were able to outnumber the attacking troops. The engagement was a confused affair. Advantage ebbed and flowed during the roughly seven hours of fighting. Finally the Federal forces withdrew to Cheat Summit Fort. The Federals suffered approximately 137 casualties and the Confederates roughly 146.
The Winter of 1861-62
After the battle, life returned to the ofttimes
The locale appears much today as it did in 1861. Remains of earth and rock fortifications are visible. Cabin foundations and collapsed chimneys mark the living quarters. The fortification has the highest altitude, 4,400 feet above mean sea level, of any in the eastern Civil War theater.
In 1990 the special status of this fort in American history was recognized as Camp Allegheny was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Much of the fort is administered by the Monongahela National Forest for the benefit of the public. Please assist us in preserving this important place.
Artifacts, structures and archaeological resources at Camp Allegheny are protected by federal laws such as the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979, as amended.
Please stay within the publicly owned portion of the site. Entry into private lands will require landowner consent. As you visit and enjoy Camp Allegheny please be certain
Erected by Monongahela National Forest.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 38° 28.418′ N, 79° 43.346′ W. Marker is near Bartow, West Virginia, in Pocahontas County. Marker is on Old Pike Road (County Road 3), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at a recreational access point in Monongahela National Forest. Marker is in this post office area: Bartow WV 24920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Camp Allegheny (here, next to this marker); War In West Virginia (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Great Raid (approx. 1.3 miles away); Highland County / West Virginia (approx. 1.3 miles away in Virginia); a different marker also named Camp Allegheny (approx. 1.3 miles away); West Virginia / Virginia Camp Allegheny (approx. 1.6 miles away in Virginia); Camp Bartow (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bartow.
More about this marker. On the upper left is a portrait of Johnson. Colonel Edward Johnson commanded Confederate forces during the engagement at Camp Allegheny. In recognition of this service during that action he was promoted to general. Below is a portrait of his opponent. General Robert H. Milroy led an unsuccessful attack on Camp Allegheny. On the right is a map of the site, showing the road structure, key components of the Confederate position, and the approximate lines used by the Federal attacks.
Regarding Camp Allegheny 1861-1862. This marker was replaced by a new one named Camp Allegheny (see nearby markers).
Also see . . . Camp Allegheny. Resource page from Civil War Preservation Trust. The Trust listed the battlefield among the most threatened sites in 2010. (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,129 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.