Upper Marlboro in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Archbishop John Carroll
1735 - 1815
Erected 1976 by the Society of Pilgrims of St. Mary’s Maryland and friends. Dedicated by William Cardinal Baum, Archbishop of Washington on October 30. Felix W. de Weldon, Sculptor.
Location. 38° 48.983′ N, 76° 45.033′ W. Marker is in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and West Court Drive on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Upper Marlboro MD 20772, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of John Carroll (here, next to this marker); This White Oak Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); The Right Will Prevail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Walk of History (within shouting distance of this marker); John Rogers (1723 - 1789) (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Site of the Residence of Dr. William Beanes (about 600 feet away); Marlboro Academy (about 600 feet away); Turn of Events (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Marlboro.
Regarding Archbishop John Carroll.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . John Carroll. Entry in The Catholic Encyclopedia Online.
Excerpt: “In response to a petition sent by the Maryland clergy to Rome, 6 November, 1783, for permission for the missionaries here to nominate a superior who should have some of the powers of a bishop, Father Carroll, having been selected, was confirmed by the pope, 6 June, 1784, as Superior of the Missions in the thirteen United States of North America, with power to give confirmation. He was asked to send a report of the state of Catholicity in the United States. This same year a minister named Charles Henry Wharton, a Marylander, an ex-Jesuit, and distant relative of Father Carroll, attacked the Church, and was answered by Carroll in ‘An Address to the Roman Catholics of the United States of North America.’ Its aim and spirit may be gauged from one of its passages wherein Carroll said: ‘General and equal toleration, by giving a free circulation to fair argument, is a most effectual method to bring all denominations of Christians to an unity of faith.’ The work was published at Annapolis in 1784, and is the first Catholic
“Father Carroll was, all the while, distracted, personally wishing the rehabilitation of the Society of Jesus and to remain himself a Jesuit. But officially seeing the need of a bishop, and that too an American, he decided to accept the pope’s appointment of himself, and forthwith as Prefect Apostolic sent (Feb., 1785), to Cardinal Antonelli, his acceptance of that office, but urged that some method of appointing church authorities be adopted by Rome that would not make it appear as if they were receiving their appointment from a foreign power. A report of the status of Catholics in Maryland was appended to his letter, where he stated that 9000 were freemen, 3000 children, and 3000 negro slaves; that some of the more prominent families, despite the dearth of priests (there being then only nineteen in Maryland) were still Catholics in faith, sufficiently religious, though prone to dancing and novel-reading.
“The pope was so pleased with Father Carroll’s report that he granted his request ‘that the priests in Maryland be allowed to suggest two or three names from which the Pope would choose their bishop.’
“In the meanwhile Father Carroll took up his residence in Baltimore (1786-7), where even Protestants were charmed by his sermons delivered in old St. Peter’s (Submitted on April 6, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Persons • Patriots & Patriotism •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,103 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on July 13, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page was the Marker of the Week November 2, 2014. Photos: 1. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 2. submitted on April 6, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on March 31, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 11. submitted on August 24, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.