Florence in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Florence
Several noted Baptist ministers have been associated with this congregation, including Taliaferro, the organizing pastor, who came to Texas from Kentucky in 1847 and established a number of Baptist congregations in the new state. Brother E. McDaniel served as first permanent pastor, from 1856 until 1869, soon followed by the Rev. George Washington Baines, from 1870 until 1877. Baines, great-grandfather of U.S. President Lyndon Baines Johnson, came to Texas in 1850 and served as president of Baylor University at Independence, in addition to pastoring a number of Baptist churches in Texas.
In 1869, the congregation built its first sanctuary, which also served as a community schoolhouse and as a meeting place for other religious and fraternal organizations in Florence. New facilities were built as needed to accommodate
Erected 2001 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12417.)
Location. 30° 50.575′ N, 97° 47.585′ W. Marker is in Florence, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on College Ave near Gardner Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 College Ave, Florence TX 76527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Florence (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lawler Community (approx. 3 miles away); Andice Baptist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Prairie View Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Smart-McCormick Home (approx. 8 miles away); The Community of Briggs (was approx. 8.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Briggs State Bank (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,121 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.