Farmington in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
[ front ]
By far the largest town in the colony, Farmington once contained over 225 square miles and was divided into nine parishes. In 1775 the town boasted the second largest tax list in the colony. By 1869, seven towns had been carved from the mother town of Farmington – Southington (1779), Berlin (1785), Bristol (1785), Burlington (1806), Avon (1830), New Britain (1850), and Plainville (1869).
[ back ]
The community of Unionville, known since the era of the Farmington Canal as a center of industry, has remained a vital part of the town. The Canal commenced operations in 1828 and after 1835 carried passengers and freight between New Haven and Northampton until it was superseded by the railroad.
Farmington was active in the Revolutionary War from
Farmington is noted for its beautiful homes, including the Stanley-Whitman House (1660), now the Farmington Museum; for Miss Porter's School for Girls, founded in 1843; and for the Hill-Stead Museum of Art.
Erected by the Town of Farmington
the Farmington Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1981 by the Town of Farmington, the Farmington Historical Society, the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 44.926′ N, 72° 52.062′ W. Marker is in Farmington, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Montieth Drive and Farmington Avenue (Connecticut Route 4), on the right when traveling east on Montieth Drive. Touch for map. Located in front of Farmington Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Monteith Drive, Farmington CT 06032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Farmington Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of Yodkins-Morin Memorial Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Unionville Veterans Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away); Unionville Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lt. Vincent H. Core Memorial Site (approx. 1.4 miles away); Unionville Feeder Canal (approx. 2.1 miles away); Canal Junction (approx. 2.3 miles away); An Industrial History of Unionville, 1780-1880 (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmington.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Farmington. (Submitted on July 14, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Farmington, Connecticut on Wikipedia. (Submitted on July 14, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.