Stony Point in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Stony Point Cannon Memorial
1779 - 1997
soldier led by General
in the Battle of Stony Point
and to all past wars
this cannon memorial is
dedicated to all veterans
living and deceased
who have fought bravely
to preserve our
Battle of Stony Point
July 15-16, 1779
Charles R. Lewis V.F.W. Post 8997
Stony Point New York
Erected 1997 by V.F.W. Post 8997.
Location. 41° 13.563′ N, 73° 59.206′ W. Marker is in Stony Point, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is at the intersection of S Liberty Drive (U.S. 9W) and Central Drive, on the right when traveling south on S Liberty Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stony Point NY 10980, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stony Point 9-11 Memorial (here, next to this marker); Stony Point Veterans Monument (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Stony Point Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorials at Waldron Spring (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington Tree Treason House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Crossroads (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stony Point Battlefield (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stony Point.
More about this marker. Monument consists of a granite marker topped by a cannon. The bottom of the memorial contains images of crossed Old Glory and Union Jack flags, Gen. Anthony Wayne, a cannon and the V.F.W. logo.
Also see . . . Account of the battle from the American Revolution War website. (Submitted on July 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 782 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 14, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.