Fall River in Bristol County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
USS Massachusetts Propeller
USS Massachusetts was built at the Bethlehem Steel Fore River Shipyard in Quincy, Massachusetts and was commissioned May 12, 1942. She received 11 battle stars and a Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation while operating in the Atlantic and Pacific Theatres during WWII.
"Big Mamie" was decommissioned and transferred to the Reserve Fleet in 1947. In 1965 she was enshrined here at Battleship Cove as the Commonwealth's official World War II memorial.
Location. 41° 42.283′ N, 71° 9.767′ W. Marker is in Fall River, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Central Street, on the right. Touch for map. The Marker is just south of, and almost directly beneath, the Charles S. Braga Bridge, at Battleship Cove. Marker is in this post office area: Fall River MA 02720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battleship Cove 9-11 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince Henry the Navigator of Portugal In the Miery Swamp (approx. 4.8 miles away in Rhode Island); Fort Barton (approx. 5.9 miles away in Rhode Island); a different marker also named Fort Barton (approx. 6 miles away in Rhode Island); Holtís Trail (approx. 6 miles away in Rhode Island); Vietnam Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away in Rhode Island); Washington St. (approx. 6.4 miles away in Rhode Island). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fall River.
Also see . . . Battleship Cove, The world's largest naval ship museum. (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.