Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club
Originally, the property between Alarcon and Marina streets on Gurley Street was the site of the red brick building which housed the Territorial Legislature and Prescott City Hall. Built in 1884, it was remodeled in 1904 for use as a high school. In 1914, it was demolished and a new high school was constructed. The new high school was described as "splendid". By 1930, this was too small for the number of students, so in 1931 a junior high school was added on the east and south sides of the block.
Meanwhile, in 1903 railroad entrepreneur Frank Murphy purchased the building along South Marina Street at Gurley. The Dake Opera House, the Goldsworthy Residence and the Gould Cottage were demolished to build the Yavapai Club, an organization "incorporated by the businessmen of the county for the purpose of furthering the material and social interest of the community". It was housed in "one of the finest buildings in Arizona and was as completely equipped as the finest gentleman's club in San Francisco or New York". The club featured a library, games room, restaurant with a buffet, a bowling alley, sleeping accommodations and a second-floor
In 1976, the entire block was cleared for the construction of a new Yavapai County Administration complex.
Erected by City of Prescott.
Location. 34° 32.503′ N, 112° 27.962′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gurley Street and South Alarcon Street, on the right when traveling east on East Gurley Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner of Gurley and Alarcon streets. Marker is in this post office area: Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Day Octagon (within shouting distance of this marker); Hassayampa Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Carnegie Library (about 500 feet away); Nob Hill (about 500 feet away); Prescott National Bank (about 800 feet away); Knights of Pythias Building (about 800 feet away); The Bank of Arizona and the Electric Buildings (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.