Near Powhatan in Powhatan County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mosby’s Tavern / Cumberland Old Courthouse
Benjamin Mosby operated a tavern on this site as early as 1741 in what was then Goochland County. In 1749 at the formation of Cumberland County, this tavern served as its Courthouse. The sessions were held here until Powhatan County was formed out of Cumberland in 1777; for a time court was held here for both counties.
Benjamin Mosby’s son, General Littlebury Mosby Sr., 1729-1809, the most notable figure in early Powhatan politics was instrumental in having the courthouses located here.
The site, a Virginia Historic Landmark, is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cumberland Old Courthouse
George Washington referred to this site as “Cumberland Old Courthouse” when this was a major staging area for troops of the Continental Army. On February 18, 1775 the Cumberland County Committee of Safety met here and composed The Cumberland Resolutions, one of the earliest calls for independence issued in the colonies.
After Yorktown, troops of the Virginia Continental Line, ill-equipped, ill-fed, unpaid and nearly mutinous, marched from here to the Southern Campaign of 1782.
While there they participated with valor and success in the final engagements of our war for independence.
Location. 37° 33.972′ N, 78° 2.205′ W. Marker is near Powhatan, Virginia, in Powhatan County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Tavern Road and Anderson Highway (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling south on Old Tavern Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Powhatan VA 23139, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dunlora Academy (approx. 1.4 miles away); Muddy Creek School (approx. 3.5 miles away); Derwent (approx. 3.6 miles away); a different marker also named Derwent (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mohemenco (A Monacan Village) and Drake House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cumberland County / Powhatan County (approx. 4.4 miles away); a different marker also named Derwent (approx. 5 miles away); Giles's Home (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Powhatan.
Also see . . .
1. Mosby Tavern / Cumberland Old Courthouse (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Powhatan Historical Society. (Submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.