“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Arcadia in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Jerrell’s Mill

Jerrell's Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., November 3, 2007
1. Jerrell's Mill Marker
Inscription. Here, on May 9, 1864, Sheridan was attacked by Wickham’s cavalry. Nearby, on May 22, 1864, Warren’s (Fifth) Corps, moving to the North Anna, fought Rosser's cavalry.
Erected 1937 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number E-31.)
Location. 38° 7.001′ N, 77° 31.491′ W. Marker is near Arcadia, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located south of the bridge carrying U.S. Route 1 (Jefferson Davis Hwy) over the Matta River. Marker is in this post office area: Woodford VA 22580, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Turn in Sheridan’s Raid (approx. 0.7 miles away); Mud Tavern (approx. one mile away); Spotsylvania County / Caroline County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Nancy Wright’s (approx. 1.9 miles away); Stanard’s Mill (approx. 2.3 miles away); Plantations on Guinea Station Road (approx. 4½ miles away); James Farmer, Civil Rights Leader (approx. 4.8 miles away); Road to Guinea Station (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Categories. MilitaryNotable EventsWar, US Civil
Jerrell’s Mill Marker E-31 image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, February 6, 2009
2. Jerrell’s Mill Marker E-31
Photo taken looking south on U.S. Route 1.
House at Jerrell's Mill image. Click for full size.
By Jason, March 6, 2008
3. House at Jerrell's Mill
This is the house that sits on top of the hill above the Matta river. You can see it from Rte 1 during the winter and spring. The house was built in 1856. The actual mill house that operated on the Matta river just a few hundred feet down the hill has been all but destroyed. A section of the foundation stones are all that remain.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,296 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 5, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on May 22, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Jason of Woodford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.