El Campo in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank of El Campo
A two-story bank building was erected on the corner of Monseratte and Post Office Streets. The bank's founders were instrumental in the development of El Campo and led efforts to have the city incorporated in 1905.
Providing investment capital for the rice and oil industries, which were the foundations of El Campo's economy, the bank grew with the city, survived the Great Depression, and emerged as a strong financial institution serving residents throughout Wharton County. After sixty-five years at the Monseratte St. location the bank moved to a larger facility at this site. It continues to support business, civic, and youth activities throughout the county.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1795.)
Location. 29° 11.845′ N, 96° 16.11′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 East Jackson Street, El Campo TX 77437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prairie Switch (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Campo (about 600 feet away); El Campo Library Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wharton County Courthouse (approx. 12.8 miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 14.1 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.