Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Waco Suspension Bridge

 
 
The Waco Suspension Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 14, 2010
1. The Waco Suspension Bridge Marker
Inscription. In 1866 the Waco Bridge Company was granted a 25 year charter to build a toll bridge here. The charter guaranteed that no other bridge or ferry could be built within five miles. Construction began in 1868 and, after much financial difficulty, was finished in 1870. Bridge traffic included wagons, pedestrians, and cattle herds. Special rates were given to heavy users. From 1875 to 1889 the public agitated for a free bridge, but the company retained its monopoly. Then, in 1889, the bridge was sold to McLennan County which gave it to the city of Waco as a free bridge.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5448.)
 
Location. 31° 33.615′ N, 97° 7.669′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is on North University Parks Drive. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Suspension Bridge Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North University Park Drive, Waco TX 76701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waco Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob de Cordova (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Waco Suspension Bridge
Waco Springs & Waco Indian Village image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, July 14, 2010
2. Waco Springs & Waco Indian Village
The suspension bridge was built near the original site of the Waco Springs where the Waco Indian village was located. A marker near the bridge reads:
Erected by
Henry Downs Chapter
Daughters of
The American Revolution
1849 - May 5-1917
Reclaiming the Waco Spring
famed in local tradition
as the camping grounds
of the Waco Indians
and the first crossing
of the Brazos River
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Going Up The Chisholm Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gerald-Harris Shooting (approx. ľ mile away); Brann-Davis Shootings (approx. 0.3 miles away); Doris Miller (approx. 0.9 miles away); Elite Cafe (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
 
More about this marker. There is an identical marker at the northeast end of the bridge.
 
Also see . . .  Waco Suspension Bridge. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on May 17, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles
 
View of Waco Springs from the bridge image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, February 16, 2007
3. View of Waco Springs from the bridge
Photo taken from north side of bridge, looking south towards the location of Waco Springs, site of the Waco Indian village
The Waco Suspension Bridge image. Click for full size.
February 16, 2007
4. The Waco Suspension Bridge
Southwest End of The Waco Suspension Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 14, 2016
5. Southwest End of The Waco Suspension Bridge
Marker is on the right side of the bridge behind the bull sculptures
The Waco Suspension Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, May 14, 2016
6. The Waco Suspension Bridge
View to the northeast from the south bank of the Brazos River
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,580 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   4. submitted on August 1, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   5, 6. submitted on May 17, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement