Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
McMillan played an important part in the development of Flagstaff. When Coconino County was formed in 1891, he was elected chairman of the Board of Supervisors and helped the county through its formative period. He was the first Postmaster and was a member of the first library board. In 1888 he bought the shell of this building, begun by others in 1887, and completed it.
His first tenants were a bank and a hotel. In 1892 the hotel became the terminus for the Flagstaff-Grand Canyon Stagecoach (see photo). The McMillan Opera House, located on the ground floor, became the premiere place in town to host plays, dances and other events.
The McMillan family moved into the hotel and was living there in 1906 when Thomas F. McMillan died. His widow, Kate, ran it until her death in 1923. Her daughter, Mary "Mamie", married George Fleming in 1916, and
Erected by Fleming Brothers, Richard & Sherry Mangum and the Main Street Foundation.
Location. 35° 11.863′ N, 111° 38.957′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is at the intersection of West Route 66 and North Leroux Street, on the right when traveling west on West Route 66. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 West Route 66, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aubineau Building (a few steps from this marker); Raymond Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Transcontinental Railroad Centennial (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Coconino Chop House (within shouting distance of this marker); Telephone Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Logging Wheels (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,803 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 2. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 19, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 6, 7. submitted on October 7, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.