Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lincoln in Talladega County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lincoln, Alabama

 
 
Lincoln, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 19, 2010
1. Lincoln, Alabama Marker
Inscription. (Side A) Historical records indicate that DeSoto and his men, as they traveled the South in search of gold, were the first white men to see the Lincoln area. With the ceding of the Creek Indian Territory in 1837, the population of the area increased. The community was known as Kingsville until 1856 when the name was changed to Lincoln. The name Lincoln came from Revolutionary War General Benjamin Lincoln who accepted the sword of surrender from the British at Yorktown, Virginia in 1781. The 1880s represented a period of growth with the construction of the Georgia Pacific Railroad through the community and construction of Dam 5 and Lock 4 on the Coosa River. The local office of the Corps of Engineers remains at Lock 4. The next major events occurred in 1911 with the incorporation of the community and construction of the first county high school. The original town limits were slightly over one square mile. (Continued on other side)

(Side B) (Continued from other side) The 1960s marked the beginning of change for the community with the construction of Logan Martin Lake, the Interstate Highway and the Alabama International Motor Speedway (later renamed the Talladega Superspeedway). The city council began the annexation of land surrounding the original town limits and improving and expanding the water system.
Lincoln, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 19, 2010
2. Lincoln, Alabama Marker
New parks were built in the 1970s. The decade of the 1980s saw the construction of the first waste water system and preparation of the legislation creating the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. On May 6, 1999, Honda announced their intentions to build an automotive plant here; the City of Lincoln played a key role in that decision.
 
Erected 2010 by The Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Lincoln.
 
Location. 33° 36.846′ N, 86° 7.125′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Alabama, in Talladega County. Marker is on County Road 433 north of 1st Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the lawn area near the railroad tracks in downtown Lincoln. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln AL 35096, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Refuge Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away); Harkey’s Chapel United Methodist Church Founded Circa 1829-1830 (approx. 8.6 miles away); Pell City’s Historical Residential District (approx. 9.7 miles away); Pell City, Alabama (approx. 9.8 miles away); Historic Downtown Pell City (approx. 9.8 miles
Lincoln, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 19, 2010
3. Lincoln, Alabama Marker
away); A County Older Than The State (approx. 9.9 miles away); Fort Strother (approx. 11.9 miles away); The Joiner Family (approx. 11.9 miles away).
 
Categories. Colonial EraRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Lincoln, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 19, 2010
4. Lincoln, Alabama Marker
View from the marker toward the buildings on the North side of the railroad tracks, including the First National Bank.
Lincoln, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 19, 2010
5. Lincoln, Alabama Marker
Buildings on the South side of the town square area taken from near the R/R track.
Lincoln, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, July 19, 2010
6. Lincoln, Alabama Marker
Banners hanging throughout town declaring the 100th anniversary of the City of Lincoln.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,455 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement