Near Underwood in Pottawattamie County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Historic Council Bluﬀs / Noted Council Bluﬀs Residents
The Council Bluffs area was the scene of such important events in Iowa history as the explorations of Lewis and Clark, the Mormon Trail, the Missouri River steamboat traffic and the railroad industry. Francois Guittar established the first white settlement here at Traderís Point in 1824. When the Mormons arrived in 1846 they called the community Kanesville. By special charter in 1853 the State Legislature changed the name to Council Bluffs. The name derives from a council held by Lewis and Clark with the Indians in 1804 on the west side of the river here.
The first steamboat landed in the area in 1819. For the next several decades hundreds of steamboats docked in Council Bluffs, bringing people and goods for their westward journey on the Oregon and California trails and to the western gold fields. In 1856, Congress authorized four railroads to traverse Iowa from east to west. Two of these were to terminate in Council Bluffs, the Northwestern from Lyons and the Rock Island from Davenport. This emphasis on transportation has not changed, and today Council Bluffs is served by two Interstate highways, 80 and 29.
In 1854, Grenville M. Dodge made Council Bluffs his home. General Dodge, a Civil War soldier and United States Congressman, was perhaps best known as the chief
Amelia Jenks Bloomer, an early resident, was a womenís suffrage leader of national reputation. In addition to giving her name to a new style of clothing for women, she also wrote widely in periodicals during the 1850s and 1860s and was a popular lecturer on temperance and womenís rights.
Another famous resident of Council Bluffs was Dr. Lee de Forest, known for his invention of the three-electrode vacuum tube and more than 300 other patents. His inventions were significant in the development of the radio and electronics industries during the early 20th century.
Erected 1976 by Iowa State Historical Department Division of the State Historical Society and by the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Trail, and the Iowa, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 41° 24.222′ N, 95° 39.535′ W. Marker is near Underwood, Iowa, in Pottawattamie County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 80 at milepost 19, 3.6 miles Touch for map. The marker is located at Rest Area 29 Westbound, 3.1 miles west of Exit 23 on Interstate 80. Marker is in this post office area: Underwood IA 51576, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Historic Council Bluffs / Noted Council Bluffs Residents (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Anticipating An Indian Council (approx. 12.4 miles away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. 12.4 miles away); Like a Bald Manís Head (approx. 12.4 miles away); Grenville M. Dodge (approx. 12.6 miles away); Colonel William H. Kinsman (approx. 13.5 miles away); Kanesville Mormon Cemetery (approx. 13.7 miles away); Abraham Lincoln's 1859 Visit (approx. 13.8 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Also see . . . Historical Society of Pottawattamie County. (Submitted on July 20, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.