Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewiston in Montmorency County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Congregational United Church of Christ

 
 
Congregational United Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 7, 2010
1. Congregational United Church of Christ Marker
Inscription. Lewiston developed in 1891-1892 around the Michelson and Hanson Lumber Company. Dr. U.H. Traver and George Tuxworth held the first religious meetings in the lumber camp. The Reverend A.M. Hills was sent by the Congregational Conference of Michigan to hold revival meetings, and on November 28, 1892, thirty people chartered the First Congregational Church. Two years later they built a church, which was incorporated over the years into the present one. The lumber mills ceased operating and the population declined around 1910. The congregation's membership dwindled, but the church survived. As a result of a merger in 1957, the church was renamed the Congregational United Church of Christ.
 
Erected 1992 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1500.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 44° 53.201′ N, 84° 18.306′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, Michigan, in Montmorency County. Marker is at the intersection of Kneeland Street and Woodfield Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Kneeland Street. Touch for map. Congregational United Church of Christ is 2 blocks (0.2 miles) north of County Road 612.
Congregational United Church of Christ and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 7, 2010
2. Congregational United Church of Christ and Marker
Marker is at or near this postal address: 3191 Kneeland Street, Lewiston MI 49756, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Angusdale Stock Farm (approx. 5.1 miles away); Camp Lunden (approx. 6.2 miles away); Big Rock (approx. 9 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Congregational United Church of Christ Dedication/Rededication Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 7, 2010
3. Congregational United Church of Christ Dedication/Rededication Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement