Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Plaza San Carlos
Erected 1976 by General Duncan Lamont Clinch Historical Society of Amelia Island in cooperation
Location. 30° 41.334′ N, 81° 27.375′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is at the intersection of Estrada Street and White Street, on the right when traveling south on Estrada Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located at the northeastern end of Amelia Island in Fernandina Plaza Historic State Park, which is situated along the Amelia River, near the confluence of the Amelia River with the St. Marys River. It is in this area that the St. Marys River marks Florida's northern boarder with Georgia. Marker is in this post office area: Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort San Carlos (within shouting distance of this marker); McClure's Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Clinch Military Road (approx. one mile away); Fort Clinch (approx. one mile away); Fernandez Grant (approx. 1.1 miles away); Phelan-Verot House Built Prior to 1866 (approx. 1.2 miles away); David L. Yulee (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
Regarding Plaza San Carlos. It would seem that the Plaza San Carlos area
The eight different flags that have flown above Ameliaís shores are: French from 1562-1565; Spanish 1565-1763; British 1763-1783; Spanish (again) 1783-1821 with 3 interruptions — Patriots 1812, Green Cross of Florida 1817, Mexican Rebel Flag 1817; United States of America 1821 to present with one interruption — the Confederate Flag, 1862.
Also see . . .
1. Fernandina Beach FL. This link provides historical information on Fernandina Beach, Florida, and discusses briefly the Plaza San Carlos. (Submitted on July 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Moments in History: Gregor MacGregor Captures Amelia Island, Florida. This link, provided by the Amelia Island Living eMagazine & Travel Guide, gives some additional historical information on the history of the Plaza San Carlos. (Submitted on July 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Pippi Longstocking House (aka Captainís House or the Downes House).
Directly across the street and impossible to miss when passing through Old Town is the Captainís House (also known as the "Downes House"). This historic home borders the Fernandina Plaza and can clearly be seen from the river boats passing by, with its high tower and gabled dormers. Itís also known as the “Pippi Longstocking” house since the late 1980s when the movie was filmed on location at the home.
— Submitted August 9, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Military • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 857 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.