Greenfield in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Janesville Plank Road
The Janesville Plank Road was one of 16 privately-owned toll roads authorized by Wisconsinís Territorial legislature in 1848. The road was specified to follow a 65 mile route from Milwaukee through East Troy to Janesville. Its roadbed was built on the 1838 Janesville Territorial Road, which followed an Indian Trail extending southwestward from rice marshes near river mouths in the Milwaukee area to Janesville.
Erected 2000 by State Historical Society of Wisconsin. (Marker Number 448.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 42° 57.064′ N, 88° 1.679′ W. Marker is in Greenfield Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53228, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Maryís Church and Cemetery (approx. ľ mile away); Wisconsin's Lime Industry (approx. half a mile away); Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin (approx. half a mile away); Turn of the Century Business District (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hales Corners – A Farm Village (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1992 NASCAR Champion (approx. 1.3 miles away); The German Evangelical Church / Brachís Animal Hospital (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hales Corners – A Suburb (approx. 1.4 miles away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 3. submitted on July 21, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 4. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.