Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Easton in Talbot County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Canterbury Mannor”

1000 Acres

 
 
"Canterbury Manor" 1000 Acres Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
1. "Canterbury Manor" 1000 Acres Marker
Inscription. Laid out for Richard Tilghman Chirurgeon as “Mannor of Tilghman’s Fortune” 20th July 1659. Sold by him to Richard Preston 3rd Sept., 1665, as the “Mannor of Canterbury” “together with all royaltys and privileeges most usually belonging to Mannors in England.”
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Location. 38° 43.521′ N, 76° 6.347′ W. Marker is near Easton, Maryland, in Talbot County. Marker is on Baileys Neck Road one mile west of Maryland Route 333, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Easton MD 21601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peachblossom Meetinghouse (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bracing for an Attack (approx. 3 miles away); “Hole-in-the-Wall” (approx. 3.1 miles away); Old White Marsh Episcopal Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Robert Morris, Sr. (approx. 3.2 miles away); Third Haven (approx. 3.3 miles away); Vietnam War (approx. 3.8 miles away); To the Talbot Boys (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Easton.
 
Additional comments.
1. Chiruregon
Canterbury Manor image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
2. Canterbury Manor
1000 Acres Patented 17 January 1659/60 to Richard Tilghman, citizen and chirurgeon of London, later Maryland planter. On this manor was first seated Dr. Richard Tilghman, who was granted by the Lord Baron of Baltimore the prerogatives of a "Court Baron and all things thereunto belonging by ye law or custome of England". He was the great-grandfather of Colonel Tench Tilghman, Aide-de-Camp to General George Washington in 1665 Dr. Tilghman conveyed the manor to Richard Preston, commissioner for the Province of Maryland under Oliver Cromwell and the Commonwealth of England for whom it was resurveyed and granted by Lord Baltimore with full manorial privileges of a Court Baron. Erected and dedicated April 23, 1950 The Descendants of Lords of the Maryland Manors through the good offices of W. Alton Jones.

This was an early spelling of surgeon.
    — Submitted November 5, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Persons
 
Entrance Gate to Canterbury Manor image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, November 3, 2007
3. Entrance Gate to Canterbury Manor
The dwelling is not visible from the road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,437 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement