Near Smyrna in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Hargrove House
Headquarters of Brig. Gen. Edward M. McCook, July 6 ~ 15, 1864.
McCook’s (1st) div. (Dorr’s & Lamson’s brigades), Elliott’s Cav. Corps (Army of the Cumberland) [US], was posted here to patrol the Chattahoochee between Rottenwood Cr. (S.) & Roswell (N.).
McCook’s horsemen served as a screen, behind which the 23d & 4th Corps moved to crossings at the mouth of Soap Cr. & at Power’s Fy.
July 15. McCook’s cav. left Hargrove’s to patrol the river, on the Cobb Co. side, above & below the State R. R. (at Bolton) until the 22d.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-88.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 54.083′ N, 84° 28.8′ W. Marker is near Smyrna, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Windy Hill Road 0.1 miles east of North Park Place NW, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is just inside a heavy fence enclosing the Hargrove Family Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Stone Mountain GA 30088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured 23D Army Corps to Soap Creek (was approx. 0.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Power's Ferry (approx. 2.1 miles away); The River Patrol & Cochran’s Ford (approx. 2.1 miles away); Battle of Smyrna (approx. 2.3 miles away); Smyrna Memorial Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mazie Whitfield Nelson (approx. 2.4 miles away); Smyrna’s First Mayor (approx. 2.4 miles away); First Marked Burial (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,166 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 21, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.