Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Acting-Governor Cuming designated Omaha as the Capital of Nebraska Territory by convening the First Territorial Legislature in Omaha on January 16, 1855. It met in a small two story brick building donated by the Council Bluffs and Nebraska Ferry Company and located on Ninth Street between Douglas and Farnam facing the Missouri River. It housed the legislature for the sessions of 1855 and 1857.
The second capitol was a handsome brick building 137 by 93 feet. The supreme court, the library and government offices were on the first floor and the legislature and governor on the second. Corinthian columns planned for the building were removed as unsafe after several had collapsed.
In 1869 the Capitol building and grounds were presented by the state to Omaha for use as a school. The building was pronounced unsafe and the first public Omaha High School was erected in its place on Capitol Hill in 1872. The present Central High School building completed in 1912 replaced the earlier building. The central court of the school represents the approximate area of the original capitol.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 15.594′ N, 95° 56.564′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Dodge Street (U.S. 6) and North 20th Street, on the right when traveling west on Dodge Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 North 20th Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central High School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Mass in Omaha (about 500 feet away); Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Right Reverend & Mrs Robert Harper Clarkson (approx. 0.2 miles away); On The Wings of Angels 9/11 Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Among the Valiant" (approx. ¼ mile away); Omaha Centennial (approx. ¼ mile away); Congregation of Israel - 1884 (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 19, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on July 22, 2010, by Matthew G. Hansen of Lincoln, Nebraska. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 19, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.