Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mariottsville in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Waverly

 
 
Waverly Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 29, 2003
1. Waverly Marker
Inscription. The forested land was patented in 1726 by Daniel Carroll of Upper Marlboro, who called it "The Mistake". Earliest part of house was built c. 1760 by Nathan and Sophia Dorsey. In 1786 Edward Dorsey sold 650 acres, including "The Mistake" to Colonel John Eager Howard, Revolutionary hero and later governor. When his son, George Howard, married prudence Gough Ridgely of "Hampton" in 1811, "The Mistake", then totaling 1,313 acres, became a wedding present to the couple. They changed the name to "Waverly" after a popular 1814 novel by Sir Walter Scott.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 39° 18.583′ N, 76° 53.912′ W. Marker is in Mariottsville, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of Mariottsville Road and Warwick Way, on the right when traveling north on Mariottsville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marriottsville MD 21104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Waverly (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henryton School of Practical Nursing (approx. 3.3 miles away); Henryton Center
Waverly Mansion image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 29, 2003
2. Waverly Mansion
(approx. 3.3 miles away); Moving Goods on the National Road (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mill Town History (approx. 4.5 miles away); St. Johnís Episcopal Church (approx. 4.5 miles away); The Sykesville Bypass Bridge (approx. 5.1 miles away); Sykesville (approx. 5.3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. There is another marker with identical text .1 miles farther east on Warwick Way. (My guess is that this, the older of the two markers, was originally erected on U.S. 40 and was moved here because of road construction. Historical markers were originally erected on main roads to let travelers know of nearby historical sites. —Ed.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Another Waverly Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 29, 2003
3. Another Waverly Marker
This marker has the same text as the one here with the exception of the abbreviated "Col.". It is located .1 miles farther east of this marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,121 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement