Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smyrna in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church

c. 1866

 
 
Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bruce Thompson, 2010
1. Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker
Inscription. Founded circa 1850, the original church was destroyed in 1864 by the Federal Army and rebuilt after the Civil War. The church, cemetery, and nearby spring carry the name of James A. Collins, an Atlanta pioneer, merchant, and local landowner. His promise made before his death in 1862 was fulfilled in 1870 when Collins' daughter transferred title to two acres of surrounding land to the church. The building, which began as a one-room weatherboard structure supported by stacked stone pillars and hand-hewn beams, was modernized with the addition of plumbing in the 1950s and a vestibule and brick veneer in the 1960s. In its heyday, the church had dozens of members, with multiple generations attending services here. With increased commercial development in the area and a declining membership, the congregation disbanded in 2001.
 
Erected 2009 by Cobb County Community Development Agency.
 
Location. 33° 50.2′ N, 84° 28.877′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of North Church Lane and Collins Springs Drive, on the right when traveling east on North Church Lane. Touch for map. Very close to Atlanta Road, about 1/2 mile inside the I-285 perimeter, topside. Marker is at or near
Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bruce Thompson, 210
2. Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker
this postal address: 4775 N. Church Lane SE, Smyrna GA 30080, Smyrna GA 30080, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Second Shoupade (approx. half a mile away); Artillery Redan (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Shoupade (approx. 0.6 miles away); Shoupade Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Here Johnstonís River Line Crossed the Rd. (approx. 0.7 miles away); Johnstonís Army Crossed the River (approx. 1.6 miles away); Montgomery's Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Peach Tree (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
 
Regarding Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church. The church building is owned today by the Atlanta Freethought Society.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bruce Thompson, 2010
3. Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker
Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bruce Thompson, 2010
4. Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church, c. 1866 Marker
Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2010
5. Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church and Marker
Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2010
6. Collins Springs Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Looking south on North Church Lane past the Collins Springs Drive intersection
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 17, 2010, by Bruce Thompson of Atlanta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on July 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 17, 2010, by Bruce Thompson of Atlanta, Georgia.   5, 6. submitted on July 22, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement