Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarkdale in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clarkdale Historic District

c. 1931

 
 
Clarkdale Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2010
1. Clarkdale Historic District Marker
Inscription. Clarkdale is significant as an intact industrial village, locally called a mill village. Built according to a master plan for the employees of Clark Thread Company, it evolved into a self-contained community with commercial, social and recreational facilities onsite or nearby. The homes featured modern conveniences like electricity and indoor plumbing. Automobile garages were added in 1935. While the company owned and maintained the houses, local businesses were privately owned and they thrived under the patronage of Clarkdale residents. After layoffs at the mill in the late 1950s-early 60s businesses started to close, eventually leaving only the post office and two churches. The company sold the houses in 1966 giving current residents the first option to buy them, and most took advantage of the opportunity.
 
Erected 2009 by Cobb County Community Development Agency.
 
Location. 33° 49.9′ N, 84° 39.283′ W. Marker is in Clarkdale, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Newark Avenue SW and Newark Street SW, on the right when traveling south on Newark Avenue SW. Touch for map. The marker stands near the entrance to the former Coats & Clark Mill property. Marker is in this post office area: Clarkdale GA 30111, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Clarkdale Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 17, 2010
2. Clarkdale Historic District Marker
Looking south on Newark Avenue, with the former mill homes on the left
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coats & Clark Thread Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarkdale Mill Village Historic District (approx. 0.3 miles away); Causey - Maxham House (approx. 2.5 miles away); Sweet Water Town Site (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ross' Headquarters (approx. 3.7 miles away); “The Only Advantage of the Day” (approx. 4.2 miles away); 16th A.C. to Roswell (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarkdale.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 646 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement