Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition

The Madison Heritage Series

 
 
Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Toman, July 24, 2010
1. Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition Marker
Inscription. Located in one of the richest agricultural counties in the country, Madison has always been a market town. But the farming community was out of luck in 1872 when state officials banned the hitching of horses on the interior side of Capitol Square. Farmers had to find a new place to tie their horses when shopping downtown.

They chose the first block of East Washington Avenue, and a popular farmersí market soon developed there. The Madison Businessmenís Club used the same site from 1890 to 1906 for the Water Tower Horse Market. The cityís 1889 water tower, razed in 1920-21, served as a centerpiece.

City leaders relocated the farmersí market to an indoor venue in 1910, where it was largely unsuccessful. The building still stands as a Madison landmark at the corner of Mifflin and Blount streets. In 1972, public officials and private vendors reinvigorated this agricultural tradition with the debut of the Dane County Farmersí Market.

Sidebar:

A Capitol Square mainstay, the Dane County Farmersí Market began in 1972 and grew to become the nationís largest, spawning neighborhood and weekday markets. Successful agricultural markets have a long history in Madison, beginning in the late 1800s. A block away from the square farmers sold crops and businessmen ran a horse market that one Chicago customer counted among
Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Toman, July 24, 2010
2. Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition Marker
Closeup of Water Tower Horse Market 1890 photo on marker
“the best in the country.”
 
Erected 2006 by City of Madison.
 
Location. 43° 4.541′ N, 89° 22.982′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Avenue and North Pinckney Street, on the right when traveling west on East Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 North Pinckney Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American House (a few steps from this marker); American Exchange Bank (a few steps from this marker); Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city (within shouting distance of this marker); Olson and Veerhusen Building / Hobbins Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Maeder Building / Ellsworth Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Winterbotham Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hans Christian Heg (about 400 feet away); Belmont Hotel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
More about this marker. This marker is part of the The Madison Heritage Series, Sharing Our Legacy, created for Madison's sesquicentennial. The marker was sponsored by the Madison Community
Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Toman, July 24, 2010
3. Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition Marker
View of the marker with the Capitol Square and the Dane County Farmers' Market in the background.
Foundation and CUNA Mutual Group.
 
Also see . . .
1. City Market. (marker for the indoor venue for the farmers' market mentioned in the marker) (Submitted on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 

2. Dane County Farmers' Market web site. (Submitted on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement