Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Overlooking Lake Wingra, Edgewood Villa was built in 1855 for New York lawyer, John Ashmead. In 1856, Samuel Marshall, co-founder of the Marshall and Ilsley banking firm, acquired the home and the surrounding 55 acres. Governor Cadwallader C. Washburn purchased the property in 1873, and the Villa served as the Executive Residence for the remainder of his term.
In 1881, Washburn deeded the estate to the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa "to be used for educational purposes of the highest order." St. Regina's Academy, moved from downtown Madison, operated in the facility until the Villa burned in 1893. Edgewood Academy of the Sacred Heart, erected as its replacement, served many different functions, including boarding school, high school, college and convent, until razed in 1969.
Today, 100 years later, the Edgewood complex provides education at all levels.
Erected 1981 by Dane County Historical Society. (Marker Number 19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Dane County Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 3.65′ N, 89° 25.193′ W. Touch for map. The marker is in the back parking lot at Edgewood College. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53711, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Panther Mound (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Welcome to the Edgewood Park and Pleasure Drive (approx. ¼ mile away); Larson House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vilas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bear (approx. half a mile away); John M. Olin (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of Our Beloved Sons (approx. 0.6 miles away); Indian Mounds (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Also see . . . Edgewood College. The Website of Edgewood College. (Submitted on July 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 656 times since then. Last updated on July 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.