Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac

 
 
The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
1. The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac Marker
Inscription. The Landing of Cadillac (English side)
After departing Montreal June 5, 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac and his convoy of 25 canoes sailed down this river and on the evening of July 23 camped 16 miles below the present city of Detroit on what is now Grosse Ile. On the morning of July 24, Cadillac returned upriver and reached a spot on the shore near the present intersection of West Jefferson and Shelby. Pleased with the strategic features, the bank towering some 40 feet above the level of the river, Cadillac landed and planted the flag of France, taking possession of the territory in the name of King Louis XIV. The erection of a fortress was immediately begun. The stockade, formed of 15 foot oak pickets set 3 feet in the ground, occupied an area of about an acre. The fortress was named Fort Pontchartrain du Detroit (the Strait) in honor of Count Jerome de Pontchartrain, Minister of Marine. From this fort and settlement, Detroit, the Renaissance City, takes its origin.

Le débarquement de Cadillac (French side)
Après avoir quitté Montréal le 5 juin 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac descendit ce fleuve avec un convoi de vingt-cinq canoës. Le soir du 23 juillet, le détachement établit son camp à l'endroit qui s'appelle maintenant Grosse Ile, soit seize miles an aval de le position actuelle de la ville
The Landing of Cadillac Marker - French Side image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 10, 2010
2. The Landing of Cadillac Marker - French Side
de Détroit. Le 24 juillet au matin, Cadillac revint en amont et atteignit le point de la rive qu'on peut situer aujourd'hui près du croisement des rues West Jefferson et Shelby. Séduit par la valeur stratégique du lieu qui dominait de quarante pieds le niveau de la rivière, Cadillac débarqua et planta le drapeau français, prenant ainsi possession du territoire au nom du Roi Louis XIV. La construction d'une fortresse commença immédiatement. Avec ses pieux de chêne qui faisaient quinze pieds de long et qui étaient enfoncés de trois pieds dans le sol, la palissade délimitait une superficie d'un arpent, soit environ une acre. On baptista cet enclos Fort Pontchartrain du Dètroit, en l'honneur du Comte Jérôme de Pontchartrain, ministre de la Marine. C'est de ce fort et de ce campement qu'est née la ville de Détroit, "la Cité de la Renaissance".
 
Erected 2001 by Michigan Historical Commission-Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S0515.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 19.631′ N, 83° 2.62′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from West Jefferson Avenue (State Highway 10) near Woodward Avenue (State Highway 1). Touch for map
The Landing of Cadillac Sculpture and Markers image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 10, 2010
3. The Landing of Cadillac Sculpture and Markers
The Landing of Cadillac marker is on the left; The Cadillac Convoy marker is on the right.
. This marker is in Hart Plaza, on the east side of the park. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Hart Plaza, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cadillac Convoy / Le Convoi de Cadillac (a few steps from this marker); Ford Motor Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gateway to Freedom (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Detroit River Heritage (about 400 feet away); Veterans' Memorial Building (about 500 feet away); Spirit of Detroit (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Topographical Engineers (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mariners' Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker .
 
Categories. Colonial EraExplorationNotable EventsNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
4. The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac
2001 bronze by William Kieffer and Ann Feeley. From the Smithsonian Art Inventory Catalog: “The sculpture was a gift from the French-American Chamber of Commerce in honor of the Detroit 300 Tricentennial celebration.”
Plaque at base of Cadillac statue image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 3, 2011
5. Plaque at base of Cadillac statue
The pedestal reads, “Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac (1658–1730) founder of the City of Detroit Dedicated July 24, 2001 in commemoration of the tricentennial of his arrival Sculptors: William Kieffer and Ann Feeley. A gift to the people of Detroit from the French-American Chamber of Commerce, Auto Chassis International, Burelle, Dassach Systèmes, Delmia, Faurecia, Hutchinson, Jean-Pierre Remper, Bruno Marko, Sescci, Sofanou, Valco. Arcadis Giffels, Barton Malow, Detroit Recreation Department.
Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac image. Click for full size.
By R. C., May 13, 2011
6. Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 1,753 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 9, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on July 24, 2010, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   4, 5, 6. submitted on May 9, 2011, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement